Welcome to Barrow
Arctic Slope Telephone Association Cooperative Inc. (ASTAC) offers free wireless Internet service in the Barrow Alaska Airlines Terminal.
Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) lets you access the Internet without cables or wires. With a wireless networking card in your privately owned Laptop, PDA or any Wi-Fi enabled device, you can go online. We support IEEE 802.11g, 802.11a and 802.11b connections. The Wi-Fi service (Service) is provided free of charge at the Airport from ASTAC.
As the configuration of each manufacturer's device is unique, please refer to your documentation for connection instructions. ASTAC or Alaska Airlines Staff cannot be responsible for assisting you in making changes to your devices. Users of the Service are referred to herein as “you” or “user.”
WARNING: The Service is an open network provided for your convenience and its use is at your own risk. It is available to the general public, and is NOT INHERENTLY SECURE. Neither ASTAC nor Alaska Airlines guarantees the privacy of your data and communication while using the Service.
There are potentially serious security issues with any computer connected to the Internet without the appropriate protection, ranging from viruses, worms and other programs that can damage the user's computer, to attacks on the computer by unauthorized or unwanted third parties. By using the Service, you acknowledge and knowingly accept the potentially serious risks of accessing the Internet over an unsecured network. It is recommended that users take steps to protect their own computer system, such as installing current anti-virus software and maintaining appropriate firewall protection. For further information on how to protect your computer on an open network, consult a security professional.
You acknowledge and agree that YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
I. Service provided “AS IS”, No Warranties.
The Service is provided to you on an “as is” basis, with any and all faults, and with all risks inherent in the provision of access to the Internet. ASTAC and Alaska Airlines make no warranty that the Service or that any information, software, or other material accessible on the Service is free of viruses, worms, trojan horses or other harmful components. YOU EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES RELATING TO THE SERVICE, SPECIFICALLY INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. By connecting to the Internet via the Service, the user acknowledges and accepts the risks associated with public access to the Internet and public use of an unsecured wireless network. Further, you acknowledge that the Service is unfiltered and if you access the Internet via the Service you may receive or be exposed to content which you consider to be offensive, obscene, misleading, defamatory, inaccurate or otherwise improper. You acknowledge and agree that neither ASTAC nor Alaska Airlines is responsible for any action or inaction with respect to such content on the Internet accessible through the Service.
II. Service provided “AS AVAILABLE”.
The Service is provided on an “as available” basis without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, that the Service will be uninterrupted or error-free, including but not limited to interruptions or errors caused by vagaries of weather, disruption of service, acts of God, claims of infringement, etc. No advice or information given by ASTAC or Alaska Airlines Staff, or any affiliates, or contractors of the Service or their respective employees shall create such a warranty.
III. No Liability; Indemnity.
V. Acceptable Use Policy.
This Acceptable Use Policy (Policy) is intended to help enhance the use of the Service by preventing unacceptable use of the Internet. You, as a user of the Service, agree to comply with this Policy. Your violation of this Policy may result in the suspension or termination of your access to the Service and/or other actions including but not limited to cooperation with legal authorities and/or third parties involved in the investigation of any suspected or alleged crime or civil wrongdoing.
The Acceptable Use Policy prohibits the following:
1. Using the Service to transmit any material that, intentionally or unintentionally, violates any applicable local, state, national or international law, or any rule or regulations promulgated thereunder.
2. Using the Service to harm, or attempt to harm other persons, businesses or other entities.
3. Using the Service to transmit any material that threatens or encourages bodily harm or destruction of property or harasses another.
4. Using the Service to make fraudulent offers to sell or buy products, items, or services or to advance any type of financial scam.
5. Adding, removing, or modifying identifying network header information in an effort to deceive or mislead others. Attempting to impersonate any person by using forged headers or other identifying information is also prohibited.
6. Using the Service to transmit or facilitate any unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email (spam).
7. Using the Service to access, or to attempt to access, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures of the Service or another entity’s computer software or hardware, electronic communications system or telecommunications system, whether or not the intrusion results in the access, corruption or loss of data.
8. Using the Service to transmit any material that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary rights of any third party, including, but not limited to, the unauthorized copying of copyrighted material, the digitization and distribution of photographs from magazines, books or other copyrighted sources, and the unauthorized transmittal of copyrighted software.
9. Using the Service to collect, or attempt to collect, personal information about third parties without their knowledge or consent.
10. Reselling the Service.
11. Using the Service for any activity which adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use the Service or the Internet. This includes “denial of service” (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user. Interference with or disruption of other network users, network services or network equipment is also prohibited. It is your responsibility to ensure that your network is configured in a secure manner.
12. Using your personal account for high volume or commercial use. The Service is intended for periodic, active use of email, newsgroups, file transfers, Internet chat, messaging, and browsing of the Internet. You may stay connected so long as you are actively using the connection for the above purposes. You may not use the Service on a standby or inactive basis in order to maintain a connection. Accordingly, ASTAC retains the right to terminate your connection to the Service following any extended period of inactivity.