Benefits of a Cooperative
As a cooperative, ASTAC is managed in part, by the voice of the people it services – co-op members. In a Cooperative, those with similar needs act together and pool their resources for mutual gain. But the returns are not just monetary. Members ensure that their Cooperative business provides the best quality products and services at the lowest possible cost. Members control their business through participation in their Cooperative; your voice is important, and is heard at every membership meeting. And because we are committed to serving our membership as our partners, we strive to serve each and every one of you with the respect, dignity and efficiency that you deserve.
ASTAC supports the communities in multiple ways:
- Award two scholarships each year
- Major supporter of the following North Slope Borough School District programs:
- Battle of the Books
- FIRST Lego League
- Major sponsor of Piuraagiaqta’s Top of the World Golf Tournament
- Swoosh Free-Throw Basketball Contest, Slope-wide
- During the Cooperative’s Annual Meetings, door prizes include gas vouchers (one each per village, except Prudhoe Bay), cash and products (across all villages)
- Various community needs including healthy living initiatives, community center refurbishment, holiday celebrations/annual events, search & rescue equipment and child hat & glove project
- Our Utqiagivk employees shop and support local businesses
Record of Service
ASTAC provides high quality and reliable service by having local management, customer service and technicians available to respond quickly and efficiently in the locations we serve.
Return on Investment
ASTAC reinvests earnings into high-quality new services. In 2017, ASTAC launched a Home Internet10 service in some of the residential markets it serves. Additionally several wireless sites were upgraded to LTE with many more on the way. In 2016, ASTAC upgraded its entire wireless network to 4G across the North Slope. As new services are adopted by the membership, revenues have continued to grow. Capital credits are being allocated to our members when we have a positive tax net income.